
Iglesia de San Juan Degollado
Updated 2 August 2026
The main church of Arafo and the heart of its historic centre. Its origins go back to a hermitage built between 1672 and 1690, enlarged until it became an independent parish on 17 October 1795. It is dedicated to San Juan Degollado, that is, the Beheading of Saint John the Baptist, a dedication that distinguished it from the church of San Juan in Güímar.
Inside, the carving of María Auxiliadora is venerated, an image canonically crowned and named Honorary and Perpetual Mayoress of the Town, along with altarpieces dedicated to the Souls, Saint Joseph, Our Lady of Sorrows and the Immaculate Conception, and carvings of Saint John, Saint Bernard and Saint Augustine. The church, of traditional Canarian layout, presides over a landscaped square that hosts the main festivities and the Corpus Christi carpets.

