
El Sauzal
Spectacular viewpoints over the north coast and the House of Wine.
History
El Sauzal traces its roots to the aboriginal Guanche world. Before the Castilian conquest, this land in the northeast of Tenerife belonged to the menceyato (kingdom) of Tacoronte, one of the nine realms into which the island was divided, and formed part of the Acentejo region, the setting of some of the most decisive episodes of the indigenous resistance. The municipality's very name recalls its original landscape: "Sauzal" refers to the abundance of Canary willows (Salix canariensis) that grew beside the springs and ravines of the area, in a rugged territory that descends from the summits down to the cliffs above the Atlantic.
After the conquest of the island, completed in 1496, the distribution of land and water attracted the first European settlers. Christianity took hold early: in 1505 the Adelantado Alonso Fernández de Lugo, conqueror of La Palma and Tenerife, founded the hermitage of Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles, considered one of the oldest churches on the island. Shortly afterwards the church of San Pedro Apóstol was built, perched on the edge of the cliff with views over the sea, becoming one of the first parishes in Tenerife. El Sauzal's historical prominence reached its peak in 1572, when a plague epidemic forced the seat of the Island Council (Cabildo) to be transferred from La Laguna to the church of San Pedro: during those months, the small town became the political and administrative centre of the island.
El Sauzal's prosperity was tied to wine from early on. The climate, volcanic soils and the orientation of its slopes made the Acentejo region one of the great wine-growing areas of Tenerife, whose vintages (the famous "Canary wines") were exported to Europe. In this context, around the mid-17th century the Seville merchant Simón de Herrera Leiva acquired land and built the Hacienda de San Simón, known as the Quinta de San Simón, a complete agricultural estate with cellars, wine presses, a manor house and workers' dwellings arranged around a courtyard. That 17th-century mansion is today the Casa del Vino de Tenerife, restored and opened to the public in 1995 as a museum, wine cellar and emblem of the island's wines.
El Sauzal is also the birthplace of one of the most venerated religious figures in the Canary Islands: Sor María de Jesús de León y Delgado, affectionately known as "la Siervita." She was born in the municipality on 23 March 1643, into a humble family of ancient lineage, and in 1668 entered as a lay sister the Dominican convent of Santa Catalina de Siena in La Laguna. A woman of deep mystical and penitential life, she died on 15 February 1731 at the age of 87. Three years after her death, her body was found incorrupt. Today she rests in the lower choir of that La Laguna convent and, every 15 February, she is exposed to the veneration of hundreds of faithful who come to behold her. Her beatification process began in 1992, and the Church therefore recognises her as a Servant of God (Sierva de Dios).
The town also preserves spots that have made it a destination of landscape and calm. The Parque de los Lavaderos, built around a spring where women once washed their clothes, has been transformed into a garden of native vegetation crossed by fountains and waterfalls, with views of the coast and Mount Teide. A few steps away, the Mirador de la Garañona offers one of the most spectacular panoramas of northern Tenerife, overlooking the Acentejo cliffs and the ocean, amid dragon trees, palms and bougainvillea.
In 1812, under the Constitution of Cádiz, El Sauzal gained the status of a municipality, and in 1985 the Government of the Canary Islands granted it the title of Villa. Today, with around 9,300 inhabitants spread between the town centre and the upper district of Ravelo, El Sauzal combines its agricultural and wine-making heritage with growing tourist appeal, faithful to the image of a whitewashed village perched on the cliff that it has cultivated for centuries.
Points of interest

Casa del Vino de Tenerife (Hacienda de San Simón)
Housed in a 17th-century mansion, the Casa del Vino de Tenerife occupies the former Hacienda de San Simón, built around the mid-17th century by the Seville merchant Simón de Herrera Leiva, who recognised El Sauzal's wine-growing potential. Known as the Quinta de San Simón, it was a complete agricultural estate with cellars, wine presses, a manor house and workers' dwellings arranged around a courtyard. Acquired by the Town Hall in 1989 and transferred to the Tenerife Island Council in 1992, it was restored and opened to the public in 1995 as the great emblem of the island's wines. Today it houses a wine museum, a tasting room, a restaurant and a shop, all amid traditional balconies, courtyards and presses, with views of the sea and Mount Teide. It is the finest gateway to Tenerife's wine culture.

Iglesia de San Pedro Apóstol
Perched on the edge of the cliff, with its dome turned into a symbol of the town, the church of San Pedro Apóstol is the historic heart of El Sauzal. Its construction began in the early 16th century and it was one of the first parishes in Tenerife. Its moment of greatest importance came in 1572, when a plague epidemic in La Laguna forced the seat of the Island Council to be moved here, briefly making the town the political centre of the island. The church has a Latin-cross floor plan, a rectangular sacristy and an 18th-century tower with black-stone corners. Inside it preserves a Baroque silver tabernacle by La Laguna goldsmiths, a 16th-century Flemish carving of Saint Sebastian and a Neoclassical marble baptismal font. Since 2015 one of its side naves has housed a Sacred Art Museum with carvings and altarpieces of great value.
Parque de los Lavaderos
The Parque de los Lavaderos is one of the most beloved spots in El Sauzal. It rises around an abundant natural spring where the town's women once came to wash their clothes, hence its name. Today that site has been transformed into a carefully tended garden of native vegetation, crossed by fountains, ponds and waterfalls that fill the air with the sound of water. From its terraces and viewpoints there is a broad panorama of Tenerife's northern coast and, on clear days, the silhouette of Mount Teide. It is an ideal place for a quiet stroll, for reading or resting in the shade of its lush vegetation, combining nature, water and views in the heart of the town. A small oasis that captures the serene, green character of El Sauzal.

Mirador de la Garañona
The Mirador de la Garañona offers one of the most spectacular panoramas in northern Tenerife. Overlooking the Acentejo cliffs, it provides a striking view of the Atlantic and of the rugged coastline that unfolds at its feet. It is reached by a path lined with bougainvillea and surrounded by Canary vegetation, with dragon trees, palms and stone benches where you can pause to contemplate the horizon. It is a perfect natural balcony for enjoying the sunset, photographing the coast or simply feeling the power of the sea against the crags. Its name, linked to the place name of La Garañona, identifies it as one of the town's emblematic viewpoints, in a setting where the wild landscape of the northern coast appears in all its splendour.

Ermita de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles
The Ermita de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles is one of the oldest churches in Tenerife. It was founded in 1505 by the Adelantado Alonso Fernández de Lugo, conqueror of La Palma and Tenerife, which places it among the first religious buildings on the island. It is dedicated to the Virgin of the Angels, co-patroness of El Sauzal alongside Saint Peter the Apostle, and since 20 August 1955 the Virgin has also held the title of honorary mayor of the municipality. Built in the traditional Canary style, the hermitage preserves inside an 18th-century polychrome wooden altarpiece, a Baroque image of Saint Anthony of Padua attributed to the sculptor Luisa Roldán, and silver processional platforms from 1795. Each summer its festivities are held together with those of Saint Peter between late June and early July, at the devotional heart of the town.

Cuna de Sor María de Jesús, 'la Siervita'
El Sauzal is the birthplace of Sor María de Jesús de León y Delgado, affectionately known as "la Siervita," one of the most venerated religious figures in the Canary Islands. She was born in the municipality on 23 March 1643, into a humble family of ancient lineage, and in 1668 entered as a lay sister the Dominican convent of Santa Catalina de Siena in La Laguna. A woman of intense mystical and penitential life, she died on 15 February 1731 at the age of 87; three years later her body was found incorrupt. Today she rests in the lower choir of that La Laguna convent and every 15 February she is exposed to the veneration of hundreds of faithful. Her beatification process began in 1992, and the Church therefore recognises her as a Servant of God. In her native town, the Casa Museo Sierva de Dios, inaugurated in 2007, honours her life and memory.
Map of El Sauzal
Things to do in El Sauzal
Where to eat in El Sauzal
What to see in El Sauzal
Official data
Published by the Cabildo de Tenerife and reused here unmodified.
Waymarked trails9
- GR-131Anaga - Chasna85.5 km+5290 mOn footlinear
- BC-1Ruta Forestal del Norte84.8 km+4600 mBike and horselinear
- PR-TF 25Área Recreativa Las Raíces - Área Recreativa Lomo de La Jara10.6 km+657 mOn footlinear
- VM-1Pista de Fuente Fría7.6 km+583 mMotor vehicleslinear
- VM-6Pista La Vica, Las Aguilillas, Montaña El Pozo, Carril del Polvo, Baja Camella y Las Calderetas7.3 km+313 mMotor vehicles
- PR-TF 25.3Las Lagunetas - Los Nateros6.2 km+82 mOn footbranch
and 3 more
Recreation areas and viewpoints5
- Fuente FríaRest area
- Las CalderetasCar park
- Las CalderetasRecreation area
- Las CalderetasCampsite
- Las Calderetas 2Car park
Listed heritage sites1
- IGLESIA DE SAN PEDRO APÓSTOLMonumentOfficial gazette
Source: Cabildo Insular de Tenerife · CC BY 4.0 · data from 2026-08-01 · How we use open data
Folklore & traditions
The patron saint festivities are the great moment of El Sauzal's calendar. Between late June and early July, the town honours its patrons, Saint Peter the Apostle and the Virgin of the Angels, with an intense religious and popular programme: the solemn Eucharist in honour of both, the torchlight procession to the hermitage accompanied by the San Pedro Musical Group, and the traditional blessing of the animals and livestock, a gesture of gratitude for the fruits of the earth and the work of farmers and ranchers. To this are added open-air dances, pilgrimages and cultural events that fill the streets of the cliff-top town with life.
Devotion to Sor María de Jesús, "la Siervita," also permeates the municipality's identity. Although her incorrupt body is venerated in the Dominican convent of La Laguna, where every 15 February hundreds of faithful come to behold her, El Sauzal keeps her memory alive as the birthplace of this 17th-century nun. The Casa Museo Sierva de Dios, opened in 2007, preserves her memory and attracts both the devout and the curious, maintaining the bond between the town and one of the most beloved spiritual figures of the Canary Islands.
Wine is the other great pillar of El Sauzal's culture. Heir to a centuries-old wine-growing tradition, the Acentejo region produces vintages protected by the Tacoronte-Acentejo Denomination of Origin, and the Casa del Vino de Tenerife, in the former Hacienda de San Simón, has become its temple: there one tastes the island's wines and honeys and discovers the culture of the press house. Local gastronomy accompanies this tradition with farm produce, cheeses, honey and the time-honoured Canary cuisine, which finds in El Sauzal a setting of balconies, courtyards and Atlantic views that is hard to forget.
Keep reading
Photos: Rick Ligthelm (CC BY 2.0) · bea & txema (CC BY 2.0) · Koppchen (CC BY-SA 3.0) · jfreire (CC BY-SA 3.0) · Paweł 'pbm' Szubert (CC BY-SA 3.0) · CanaryIslands (CC BY-SA 3.0) · Wikimedia Commons

