
Camino Histórico de Candelaria
Updated 2 August 2026
The Historic Road to Candelaria, also called the Royal Road or Old Road to Candelaria, is one of Tenerife's oldest and most emblematic pilgrimage routes, and it runs right through the municipality of El Rosario. At just over twenty-one kilometres, it links La Laguna and Santa Cruz with the Marian town of Candelaria, and since the 16th century it has been the lifeline of the devotees of the Patroness of the Canary Islands. The Rosary hermitage in Machado arose alongside it, already giving rest to pilgrims by around 1534.
Part of its route has been declared an Asset of Cultural Interest with the category of Historic Site since 2008. The Cabildo (Island Council) of Tenerife has rehabilitated it in recent years —removing invasive species, improving the surface and installing new signage— for a safer pilgrimage, especially ahead of the great festivity of 15 August, which gathers more than 100,000 people on their way to the sanctuary.

