
Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Luz
Updated 2 August 2026
Parish temple and religious heart of Los Silos, dedicated to the patron saint of the municipality. It was built on an early hermitage: the church was completed in 1570 and, in September 1605, the residents managed to elevate it to a parish, detaching it from Buenavista, which required the installation of the choir and the expansion of the main chapel. In 1930, architect Mariano Estanga reformed its exterior and gave it the striking neo-Gothic look of its towers, now a recognizable image of the town center.
Inside, there are pieces of great value, such as the Holy Christ of Mercy, a baroque sculpture attributed to an Andalusian sculptor (Juan de Mesa according to the official Tenerife Tourism portal; Francisco de Ocampo according to other sources), the Lord of Humility and Patience, and the image of the Virgin of Light, which, according to tradition, was found on the coast by a Portuguese fisherman. Every September 8th, it is the scene of the patron saint festivities and the moving 'Elevation of the Virgin'.




