
Church of the Conception (Santa Cruz)
Updated 2 August 2026
The Church of Nuestra Señora de la Concepción is the mother parish and the oldest temple in Santa Cruz de Tenerife: its construction began around 1499-1500 on the chapel built after the conquest, and around 1634-1638 it changed its original dedication from the Holy Cross to the Conception. After a fire in 1652, it was rebuilt, and the current temple stands out for being the only five-nave church in the Canary Islands, the result of successive expansions, with a Latin cross plan, Tuscan columns, semicircular arches, and coffered ceilings of Mudejar tradition. Its bell tower, completed in 1786, consists of several prismatic bodies topped by an octagonal drum and is one of the great symbols of the city.
Inside, it houses the Foundational Cross that the adelantado Alonso Fernández de Lugo raised upon landing and which gives the city its name, as well as the titular image of the Immaculate Conception. It was declared a Site of Cultural Interest, in the category of Monument, by Decree of July 28, 1983.
Gallery

















